May your dragon
Main topics can be found within the left
column; sub-topics and/or research reports can be found near the
bottom of this page. Thank you
We offer a monthly newsletter dealing with
the various issues surrounding infectious diseases. To
find out more click
Hepatitis is spread primarily by direct
contact with human blood.
- Have you ever injected street drugs, as the needles and/or other
drug "works" used to prepare or inject the drug(s) may have had
someone else's blood that contained Hepatitis on them?
- Have you received blood, blood products, or solid organs from a
donor whose blood contained Hepatitis?
- Have you ever been on long-term kidney dialysis as you may have
unknowingly shared supplies/equipment that had someone else's blood on
- Were you ever a healthcare worker and had frequent contact with
blood on the job, especially accidental needlesticks?
- Your mother had hepatitis at the time she gave birth to you. During
the birth her blood may have gotten into your body.
- Have you ever had sex with a person infected with Hepatitis?
- Have you lived with someone who was infected with Hepatitis and
shared items such as razors or toothbrushes that might have had
his/her blood on them.?
- Medical and dental procedures done in most settings in the United
States do not pose a risk for the spread of Hepatitis. There have,
however, been some reports that Hepatitis has been spread between
patients in hemodialysis units where supplies or equipment may have
been shared between patients.
WHAT IS HEPATITIS C?
Diagnosis and Testing
What is hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C is a liver disease caused by the hepatitis C virus (Hepatitis C Virus),
which is found in the blood of persons who have this disease. Hepatitis C Virus is
spread by contact with the blood of an infected person.
What blood tests are available to check for hepatitis C?
There are several blood tests that can be done to determine if you have
been infected with Hepatitis C Virus. Your doctor may order just one or a combination
of these tests. The following are the types of tests your doctor may
order and the purpose for each:
What is Hepatitis
C: An American Tragedy
educational and personal look at Hepatitis C...
An educational and personal look at Hepatitis C. Prevention,
Contraction, Prevalence, Myths & Facts. As well as one woman's personal
journey with the disease.
Click on a topic for an extensive list
of articles and additional information:
Diet, Nutrition & Exercise
Hepatitis Information (A thru K)
Hepatitis Information (L thru Z)
Transmision (A thru H)
Transmission (I thru Z)
Social Security Insurance